It’s hard to believe it’s already that time of year again…OPEN TIME!
For my noobies, keep reading so you can find out what this open is all about.
For my veterans, skip to the “What is the Intramural Open?” section to find out how we are running the intramural a little different this year!
what is the crossfit open?
Each year, over 500,000 CrossFitters around the world participate in a global, online competition called The CrossFit Open.
For the elite, this is a way for them to advance on to the CrossFit Games in hopes of becoming the Fittest Man or Woman on Earth. For mortals like us, it’s an amazing opportunity to push our own limits and be part of an amazing community that starts in our box but extends to over 13,000 affiliates across the world!
Starting Thursday, February 24th, CrossFit Headquarters will release 1 workout each Thursday for 3 weeks. These workouts will test our fitness but includes both Rx and scaled versions so everyone can participate.
Each week we will complete this workout in class and post our scores by the following Monday.
You can then see how your performance compares to other people in your division, state, country, and even world. There are typically a lot of 00s in our standings haha, but it’s still a fun exercise and great benchmark for next year!
It’s totally normal for new folks to feel intimidated and think it’s crazy to sign up for this thing. Sooooo, we created the Intramural Open!
WHAT IS THE Intramural OPEN?
The Intramural Basics
- 2 points for each athlete that submits a score
- 3 points for the top athlete in each division
- 2 points for the 2nd place athlete in each division
- 1 point for the 3rd place athlete in each division
- TBD points through bonus point opportunities
So here is the beautiful part – even if you aren’t a top athlete you can still score HUGE for your team! Do the workout, bring some crazy spirit, and seek out a bonus opportunity – boom!
At the end of the 4 weeks, the team with the most points wins…we are doing something really cool for them this year :). There are 3 open workouts being released this year by Crossfit HQ but we will have 1 additional week of fun.
divisions (new folks get their own!)
It turns out about half of our membership has been here for more than 2 years and about half has been here less…soooo we are creating divisions for each. This means even if you are newer to some of these skills, you can still earn a top spot!
- Men 2 Years & Up
- Women 2 Years & Up
- Men Under 2 Years
- Women Under 2 Years
how to sign up
We are excited to have Ryan McCourt and Sylvain Dumet as one set of captains and Allison McCourt and Laura Joyce as our other set!
Join us in person or streaming on our Community Facebook page at 6pm on Thursday, February 17th!
We have a very interesting way to determine which team picks first 🙂
1. Protected Picks. The first team will choose any athlete they want from the list of athletes signed up. The other team will then select any 2 athletes they want. Finally, the 1st team will select their second athlete.
2. Random Picks. After they have chosen their “protected” picks, it will be back an forth picking names out of a hat by division. The names will come from the list of athletes signed up.
3. Final Steals. At the end of the draft, each team can steal one athlete from the opposite team, but the athlete can’t be one of the protected picks.